Friday 14 January 2011

Vegetable Drawer Soup

My friend Marikan left a post on Facebook that she was making Vegetable Drawer Soup. It was such a funny name and yet I knew exactly what she meant.  Since I heard Richard Simmons saying he lost weight by adding 2 more servings of vegetables to his diet each day, I was looking for a way to do the same. So I had to try this soup thing. I was a bit discouraged when my boyfriend said he just wasn't into vegetable soup so I'd be on my own. But I plowed ahead anyway.  He has some powdered chicken stock he let me use.  So I used 4 tbsp. of that in 12 cups of water of boiling water. Then I added chopped carrots and 2 handfuls of lentils first to get a head start while I chopped everything else. Next I added chopped cilantro, zucchini, celery, a yellow bell pepper, button mushrooms, brocolli and snow peas. I added some ground tomatillo, onion salt, parsley flakes and season salt. I let the whole thing simmer for about two hours. Once the carrots were tender, I served it up. I put some fresh ground black pepper on top and a bit of fresh cilantro.


It was so delicious! And I felt good because the veggies went into my tummy instead of into the trash can like they usually do. I never saw my boyfriend try any, but he said he liked it.  In fact it was his idea to add it to my food blog.



No comments:

Post a Comment