Monday 2 July 2012

Purple Monster Drink

I haven't had any energy lately. When I saw an TV ad for the Nutrient Bullet it got me thinking about starting my day with a nutritional smoothy.  But when I looked into buying one it was over $150.  So I'm making due with my blender. I've tried drinking fruit smoothies and they give me acid reflux.  So we'll see if I can handle part fruit and part veggies.





I got up this morning and put together a concoction that is as follows:

Purple Monster Smoothy

Half of a peeled cucumber
1 ripe banana
5 pitted fresh cherries
handful of cilantro
handful of red cabbage
tsp. of sesame seeds
1/2 cup of spring water

I call this one a win, because it didn't taste horrid.  Mostly I tasted banana. I was able to drink the glass without gagging. And it's colorful.

Nutrient facts:  Cucumber: High in potassium and ß-carotene and α-carotene, vitamin-C, vitamin-A, zea-xanthin and lutein.

Banana: This food is very low in Saturated Fat, Cholesterol and Sodium. It is also a good source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin C, Potassium and Manganese, and a very good source of Vitamin B6

Cherry: Scientific studies have shown that anthocyanins in the cherries are found to act like anti-inflammatory agents by blocking the actions of cycloxygenase-1 and 2 enzymes. Thus consumption of cherries has potential health effects against chronic painful episodes such as gout arthritis, fibromyalgia (painful muscle condition) and sports injuries. (source: http://www.nutrition-and-you.com/cherry-fruit.html).
Cilantro: This food is very low in Saturated Fat and Cholesterol. It is also a good source of Thiamin and Zinc, and a very good source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol), Vitamin K, Riboflavin, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Folate, Pantothenic Acid, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Copper and Manganese

Red Cabbage: This food is very low in Saturated Fat and Cholesterol. It is also a good source of Thiamin, Riboflavin, Folate, Calcium, Iron and Magnesium, and a very good source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Vitamin B6, Potassium and Manganese.

Sesame seeds: Not only are sesame seeds a very good source of manganese and copper, but they are also a good source of calcium, magnesium, iron, phosphorus, vitamin B1, zinc and dietary fiber. In addition to these important nutrients, sesame seeds contain two unique substances: sesamin and sesamolin. Both of these substances belong to a group of special beneficial fibers called lignans, and have been shown to have a cholesterol-lowering effect in humans, and to prevent high blood pressure and increase vitamin E supplies in animals. Sesamin has also been found to protect the liver from oxidative damage. Source: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=84

So, let's hope this gives me more energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment