Tuesday 3 July 2012

Day 2 Strawberries For The Win

Good news to report on yesterday's smoothy. No acid reflux or any other nasty side effects.  So Yay.

For today I used a red pear, half a cucumber, poppy seeds, sesame seeds, red cabbage, 1/2 cup spring water, and a handful of cilantro. It was okay but it didn't rock my world.  I put some ice cubes in because I find they taste better cold. As I was putting the tray back, I spotted some frozen strawberries long ago forgotten in the freezer.  I defrosted them for 1 minute in the microwave and tossed them in.  Wowsa, what a difference.  This was like a treat I'd pay big bucks for at a street fair.

In the past when I've done fruit smoothies I used apple or orange juice. Then I got acid reflux.  Also, store bought juices are full of other crap like added corn syrup. Now that I'm using water as my liquid, and a balance of veggies and fruits, I'm hoping to avoid the acid reflux issues. I will say between this and my usual breakfast, I wasn't hungry for lunch until about 4 o'clock.


Adding the frozen strawberries gave me an idea.  I toss out tons of fruit that gets too ripe before I can eat it.  So I'm going to start freezing all my left over fruit (particularly bananas), so I always have a bit of frozen stuff to keep my smoothy cold enough. This is going to save me all kinds of money. And since I added the strawberries today I had almost 3/4 of the smoothy left over, so that goes in the freezer too as a base for tomorrow's smoothy. That will save time on chopping up things.

Tomorrow is the 4th of July so today I'll be roasting peppers for the chili my boyfriend is making for our  4th of July potluck. If you are in the U.S.A. then Happy 4th of July baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment